Monday, May 23, 2011

Assyrian Ruby Stew


I came across this recipe about 5 years ago. I made it and I really enjoyed it (probably because I didn't use lamb - lamb makes me sick). Apparently the recipe was found on a clay tablet that was found in the 4000 year old ruins of one of the palaces there.

Assyrian Ruby Stew

As much fatty mutton, leek, onion, and beetroot as you feel like cooking. Dice the mutton and beetroot, and thinly slice the leek and onion. Add salt to taste.

Bring to the boil in a half-half mixture of beer and water, cover and simmer for a couple of hours or until meat is deliciously tender, and the stew a deep ruby red.

The author I nabbed it from notes: serve with rice - freezes well, and still yummy microwaved.

How I made it
1 kg Chuck Beef (aka Casserole Beef - can also use gravy Beef) Diced into cubes
2 Large Leeks, sliced
2 Brown Onions, sliced
4 Large Beetroot, Diced into cubes
Salt to taste.
2 cubes beefstock
2 bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
Approximately 600ml of water

Caramelise onions and leeks in a little bit of butter. 
Add in the meat and brown off.
Add in all other ingredients.
Bring to the boil in a half-half mixture of beer and water, cover and simmer for a couple of hours or until meat is deliciously tender, and the stew a deep ruby red.

I haven't made it in a while, so can't add photos (will add to this post the next time I make it though). It has got to be one of the easiest recipes that I have ever made. If you have a slow cooker, it would probably be ideal in there!

No comments: